Monday, August 17, 2009

Biggest Pyramid Scam: Universities

Okay, so here's my theory: Universities are the biggest pyramid schemes on the planet! Before clicking on the back button of your browser, hear me out. Lately, Universities have become more focused on money and less focused on quality of education. How much do some of these universities charge? 30, 40, 50K? Are you fucking kidding me? And some of these are state institutions! For that kind of money, they should be producing scientists capable of curing cancer and economists capable of fixing the U.S. depression...right?

Wrong. What the fuck are we paying thousands of dollars for? Some douchy ass professor who has his TA read the papers? Right now I'm in graduate school at the University of Hawaii at Manoa...I am paying three times the tuition, but I'm getting absolutely nothing out of this program! I'm paying over a thousand dollars per class to have a professor give me weekly readings and grade my papers. I could have found these same articles on the internet, and I could have had a friend read and respond to my papers...what's the point?


The point, to those who are still reading, is this: we are taking out massive loans that take away years of our salaries so that we can get a stupid little piece of shit paper saying: "hey, I guess he can read and write...here's a bachelors, masters, or doctorate."

At what point in history did we give so much power to these fucked up institutions? If you're thinking "hey, you can't get a job without a degree", well you're right! you can't get a decent job without some type of degree, but do these degrees mean anything anymore? I say no...I say these degrees mean absolutely nothing, because for the most part these Universities don't give a flying fuck about education...they are just in it to make a buck.

*This is not to say all Universities are like this...but I think that most large institutions have definitely lost focus on what they are supposed to be doing. I had a very good experience at UH West Oahu, but have since had nothing but horror stories.

No comments:

Post a Comment